PoE eliminates the need for wall power to each PoE-enabled device and eliminates the cost for additional electrical cable and circuits that would otherwise be necessary in IP phone and WLAN deployments. PoE switches also eliminate the need for power injectors and PoE midspans for powering IP devices. Table 1 provides a brief description of the new switch.
Cisco Catalyst Power over Ethernet (PoE) Switches
Product Name (Part Number)
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48PST-L
• 48 Ethernet 10/100 ports with 2 10/100/1000TX and 2 Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) uplinks
• 1 RU fixed-configuration
• LAN Base image installed
• Supports 15.4W up to 24 ports, allowing transparent connectivity to PoE devices, including Cisco IP phones, Cisco Aironet® wireless LAN access points, as well as any IEEE 802.3af-compliant end device.
• Cisco EnergyWise to measure, report and reduce energy usage across the entire organization.
• Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) version 2 allows the switch to negotiate a more granular power setting when connecting to a Cisco powered device, such as IP phones or access points, than what is provided by IEEE classification.
• PoE MIB provides proactive visibility into power usage and allows you to set different power-level thresholds.
• Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP and LLDP-MED) adds support for IEEE 802.1AB LLDP for interoperability in multivendor networks.
• Network configuration, Cisco IOS® Software updates, and troubleshooting are easy using the embedded device manager and Cisco Network Assistant.
• These switches utilize capabilities rich in Cisco IOS Software, including comprehensive Layer 2 LAN features, intelligent quality of service (QoS), extensive security protection, and network management features.
• Limited lifetime hardware warranty.
• Software updates available at no additional cost.